As one of the region’s largest employers, Western Baptist Hospital is a busy place. More than 1,800 people work at the hospital, most of them caring for hundreds of patients and their families every day.
In the middle of the hustle and bustle, however, is a quiet place for guests and staff to escape the busyness – the W.N. “Buck” Lay and Helen Lay Tribute Garden. The garden’s park-like setting features a fountain, benches and beautiful flowers and foliage. Garden entrances are located in the Coffee Shop and in Doctors Office Building 1.
Last week, the Western Baptist Hospital Foundation dedicated the garden and honored the Lays, now deceased, for their contributions to the hospital and community. Mr. Lay served on the foundation board in 2010-11 and donated $100,000 to the foundation in May 2011.
The Western Baptist Auxiliary also was honored for a $50,000 donation with the unveiling of the sculpture “Angel Heart.” The foundation commissioned Paducah sculptor Linda Ogden to celebrate past, present and future hospital volunteers.
Since its beginning in 1953, the auxiliary has played a major role in providing hospitality services to patients and families and raising funds for the purchase of equipment and educational materials. Today, more than 140 volunteers serve in 17 locations throughout the hospital.
Donors also have purchased personalized bricks, benches and fountains in the garden. For more information on ways to recognize or memorialize a loved one in the garden or in front of the Earl Feezor Regional Radiation Therapy Center, phone the foundation at (270) 575-2871.